Light Up Your Bathroom Remodel: Ideas for Updating Your Lighting
When it comes to bathroom remodeling, lighting is often overlooked. However, lighting can play a significant role in creating a functional and stylish space. Updating your bathroom lighting can transform your space and enhance the overall ambiance. In this blog, we’ll explore some ideas for updating your bathroom lighting.
Assess Your Lighting Needs
Before updating your bathroom lighting, it’s important to assess your lighting needs. Think about the specific activities that take place in your bathroom and the type of lighting that would be most suitable. For example, you may want bright, task lighting near the mirror for applying makeup or shaving, while soft, ambient lighting would be suitable for a relaxing bath.
Layer Your Lighting
Layering your lighting is a great way to create a functional and stylish space. Layering involves using multiple sources of light, such as overhead lighting, task lighting, and accent lighting, to create a well-lit space. Here are some examples of how to layer your lighting:
- Overhead lighting: Overhead lighting provides general illumination and can be achieved with recessed lighting, flush-mount fixtures, or pendant lights.
- Task lighting: Task lighting is focused on a specific area and is designed to make tasks easier. Task lighting can be achieved with vanity lights, sconces, or pendant lights.
- Accent lighting: Accent lighting highlights specific features or adds a decorative element. Accent lighting can be achieved with wall sconces or LED strip lighting.
Choose the Right Bulbs
Choosing the right bulbs can make a big difference in the look and feel of your bathroom. Here are some factors to consider when choosing bulbs:
- Color temperature: Color temperature refers to the color of the light, ranging from warm (yellow) to cool (blue). Warm lighting is typically preferred in bathrooms for a relaxing, spa-like atmosphere.
- CRI: CRI (Color Rendering Index) measures how accurately a light source reproduces colors. A higher CRI is generally preferred for bathroom lighting to ensure that colors are accurately represented.
- Lumens: Lumens measure the brightness of a light source. The amount of lumens you need depends on the size of your bathroom and the specific lighting needs.
Embrace Natural Light
Natural light is a great way to enhance your bathroom and create a bright, airy space. If possible, consider adding a window or skylight to your bathroom to let in natural light. You can also use sheer window treatments to allow natural light while maintaining privacy.
Consider Smart Lighting
Smart lighting allows you to control your lighting with your smartphone or voice commands, making it easy to customize your lighting to your specific needs. Smart lighting can also be programmed to turn on or off at specific times, making it a convenient and energy-efficient option.
Updating your bathroom lighting can transform your space and enhance the overall ambiance. By assessing your lighting needs, layering your lighting, choosing the right bulbs, embracing natural light, and considering smart lighting, you can create a functional and stylish bathroom that meets your specific needs and preferences.
Is Upgrading Bathroom Lighting Worth it?
While upgrading the lighting in your bathroom can be a significant investment, it can also add value to your home and enhance your daily routine. With the right lighting, you can create a functional and stylish space that meets your specific needs and preferences. When budgeting for your bathroom remodel, it’s important to allocate a portion of your budget for lighting upgrades, as it can have a significant impact on the overall look and feel of your space. There are a few things to consider to make this upgrade with it for your bathroom remodel:
Set a Budget
- To ensure that you stay within your budget, consider working with a professional lighting designer or contractor who can help you choose the right type and number of fixtures and provide an accurate estimate of the overall cost.
- A professional can also help you navigate any electrical requirements or permitting processes that may be necessary for your specific project.
Consider the Benefits
- In addition to budgeting for your lighting upgrades, consider the long-term benefits of energy-efficient lighting options, such as LED bulbs and smart lighting.
- These options can help reduce your energy bills and have a positive impact on the environment.
Ultimately, upgrading the lighting in your bathroom can be a worthwhile investment that enhances the functionality and aesthetic appeal of your space. By considering your specific lighting needs and budgeting accordingly, you can create a space that meets your needs and enhances your daily routine.
The Cost of Upgrading Lighting in a Bathroom Remodel
Upgrading the lighting in your bathroom can enhance the look and functionality of your space, but it’s important to budget accordingly. The cost of upgrading the lighting in a bathroom remodel can vary depending on several factors. Here are some important considerations when estimating the cost of upgrading the lighting in your bathroom remodel.
Type of Lighting
The type of lighting you choose can affect the cost of upgrading your bathroom lighting. Here are some average costs for different types of lighting:
- Recessed lighting: $100 to $200 per fixture
- Pendant lighting: $100 to $300 per fixture
- Vanity lighting: $100 to $300 per fixture
- LED strip lighting: $50 to $100 per linear foot
- Smart lighting: $50 to $100 per fixture
Number of Fixtures
The number of fixtures you need can also affect the cost of upgrading your bathroom lighting. The number of fixtures you need depends on the size of your bathroom, the type of lighting you choose, and the specific lighting needs. As a general rule, plan on one fixture per 25 square feet of space.
Upgrading your bathroom lighting may require electrical work, which can add to the overall cost. Electrical work may include adding or moving electrical outlets, installing new wiring, or upgrading the electrical panel. The cost of electrical work can vary depending on the specific requirements and the location of your bathroom.
Professional installation is recommended for upgrading your bathroom lighting to ensure that the work is done safely and correctly. The cost of professional installation can vary depending on the type and number of fixtures, as well as the specific requirements for electrical work. On average, plan to spend $100 to $200 per fixture for professional installation.
In addition to the cost of fixtures and installation, there may be other costs associated with upgrading your bathroom lighting, including:
- Dimmer switches: $20 to $50 per switch
- Light bulbs: $5 to $20 per bulb
- Permits: $50 to $200
Upgrading your bathroom lighting can enhance the look and functionality of your space, but it’s important to budget accordingly. By considering the type of lighting, number of fixtures, electrical work, professional installation, and other costs, you can estimate the cost of upgrading your bathroom lighting and ensure that it fits within your budget.